Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Pump up the jam!

I decided to start fresh in the blogging world.  My livejournal was too pathetic and was acting as anti-inspiration, so here I am.  

Yesterday I made jam for the first time!  This was something I had wanted to try for some time, and I was surprised by how simple the process was.  However, the jam is still cooling/setting so I am not sure how successful I was, especially considering that I did not completely follow the directions but wanted to get creative.

My first batch was raspberry peach.   I bought the no sugar needed pectin, which recommends using fruit juice or Splenda instead of the massive amounts of sugar normally needed.   I decided to use raspberry wine and a tiny bit of honey and cinnamon.  This sounded delicious but even after boiling longer than the recipe called for it never seemed to thicken, so I am going to let it sit a little bit longer before I open the first jar.  Today I will be making strawberry kiwi and have already decided to use less liquid than yesterday, but I am still going to use the wine.    

No comments: