Saturday, October 18, 2008

Slump

I was in a bit of a knitting slump for the past week or so but am pretty confident that I am out of it.  A couple weeks ago two friends moved in down the street and of course I felt the need to make them housewarming gifts.  Felted potholders.  Great.  Finished the first one - 60 stitches and 60 rows.  After the first go in the washing machine, it seemed long enough but could be a little wider.  Second potholder.  Cast on 80.  Slump hits.  I don't think I was able to knit more than four rows a night, if at all.  

Of course, I fall behind in my estimated project date.  I think maybe I just need a change of pace, and luckily, Danielle's birthday is approaching, and I knew she wanted a hat for her birthday.  Perfect.  Until after I find out she is planning on returning to veganism.  I am just so thoughtful I asked if she would prefer a non-wool hat.  I have a million beautiful shades of Cascade PLUS two different Noro colorways, and yet I still asked.  I have a lot of random stuff in my stash, but the only nonwool I have is cotton (no good for a winter hat) and the leftover acrylic from her blanket and Mike's hat, which I can't reasonably recycle for this project.  

So Danielle's birthday passes, and no hat has been started, the potholders aren't finished, and some of us had talked about sending the other Mike (who recently moved to California) a care package, for which I volunteered to make him washcloths for the shower.  On top of all this, I keep thinking about those lovely snowbird mittens and how I spent at least six hours on those and had to rip them out. 

Maybe the slump was only two weeks, but it was pretty intense.  I finally decided I just need a new project, so I started the "Mitered Hanging Towel" from Mason-Dixon Knitting Outside the Lines.  The book is on loan, so I figured it would be a quick knit that I could justify because I eventually have to return the book.  And suddenly, the slump disappears!  I will rip out the second potholder and crochet it because I am a super speedy crocheter (which made me wonder why I wanted to knit it in the first place...) and I no longer have to knit Danielle a hat because I taught her to knit!  She may not be up to hat skill yet, but she will be and I can get her something else.  And washcloths for Mike?  Nothing to stress about, who knows when we'll get around to sending him that package.  

I am almost done with the first towel and plan to make two.  And I although I mentally got myself out of the slump, of course I got inspired for another project to add to my queu...  I now want handknitted fingertip towels for the bathroom.  

Because the Rav will only let you queu patterns that are in the database, this is my official queu:

1.  Finish both mitered towels
2.  Finish potholders
3.  Finish hat that has, seriously, ten rounds left
4.  Start snowbird mittens, most likely stop and start around smaller projects, because they will probably take me a year...
5.  Lacy curtains for living room
6.  Fair Isle cozy for French press... Super practical, and I want to cut a steek really badly. 
7.  Fingertip towels for bathroom
 

No comments: