Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Frogged

The snowbird mittens are now officially frogged.  Last Saturday I took them off the needles to try them on.  This time the ribbing was able to make it over my knuckles, but they still felt a little too small.  In addition, there were several random columns, each only a couple of rows tall, of loose stitches where the needles changed.  Furthermore, I didn't really enjoy knitting the pattern as much as I thought I would.  My two previous colorwork projects were both patterns that were intuitive because of the symmetry and did not involve too many long carries.  I know that if I had finished them, they would have smoothed out with blocking, but the front of the mitten was much more bumpy than the back because of this.  So, they are officially frogged, but maybe next year I will be a little more experienced and can try them again.  I am thinking I might just make a pair of endpaper mitts instead, they should be a much quicker knit.  

Not long after I ripped the mittens, my yarn from knitpicks showed up!  I ordered Palette for the curtains for the living room, and some Wool of the Andes for an EPS yoke sweater that I really want to make.  I was a little nervous about selecting yarn after hearing so many horror stories on Ravelry about the colors looking very different online, but they all came out exactly as I imagined them!  The curtains will be Iris Heather, a very nice purplish greyish color.  For the sweater I just picked Sapphire Heather, and will choose colors for the yoke later.  After I finish the first curtain, I will probably do some swatching, and once I know how many stitches the yoke will be I will chart something up.  I am thinking reindeer and hearts.  

A little while ago someone at work asked me what types of things I knit, and I responded by saying "only small stuff" after listing off some of my most recent projects.  I am feeling slightly daunted by the large projects I have on my plate, especially considering the fate of the snowbird mittens.  But we'll see how it goes.  

No comments: