Monday, December 21, 2009

My week

Things have been pretty hectic around here after spending two weekends in a row up in Maine, getting ready for Christmas, and living a week without hot water. This week the chaos continues. Tomorrow I leave work early to come home to be here so the water heater can be installed (YAY!) and then I'll be going out to lunch with Paul-John's dad, when Paul-John gets out of work he will finally be getting our tree which we will need to decorate, and then its game night at our place. Wednesday is Paul-John's work party and then karaoke. On Thursday I get out of work at noon, we head up to Glastonbury for three, head to Meriden around six, and then go to midnight mass. Friday we're having breakfast here with Paul-John's dad, brother, possibly his aunt, and my brother, and then around 1 going back to Meriden. Around all of that we have to make crab dip and bake a ham for Christmas Eve in Glastonbury, straighten up the craft room for Dan to sleep in, buy soda and make cookies for Christmas Day. All of my gifts are bought and I just need to wrap Paul-John's, but I was waiting for the tree. Paul-John still has one last gift to buy before he's finished.

Around all of that, ideally, I would like to finish a mitten but at this point it is looking somewhat futile. I finished mitten #1, minus the thumb, and it is way too long, so I spent almost a week ruminating about what to do. I finally decided to use size 1 needles instead of size 2 and to move the thumb up by five rows. It was a slow start because I am used to using wood DPNs and my size 1s are metal. There are a couple spots in the cuff where it is a bit loose between stitches that were on different needles, but I've managed to tighten it up, and now I am really loving the denseness of the fabric. These mittens are going to be really warm and cozy. And gorgeous.

No comments: