Saturday, January 16, 2010

#75

It has felt good to finish Paul-John's hat and to work a bit more on the hexagon afghan this past week. I have a tendency to have a lot of things in progress and am not as good at finishing everything in a timely manner. I have really been procrastinating on the sewing front mainly because I find it so intimidating - it is a skill that is going to take a lot of practice on my part before I feel comfortable. But I bought a ton of fabric and a book, and I've been wearing mainly two skirts to work everyday, and I was feeling so good about finishing and making real progress on everything else, so I decided I just had to get this done. At least one skirt.

Not bad, right? I did make a couple sacrifices for this skirt. Initially I wanted to do an invisible zipper, but decided that it would be OK to do an elastic waist the first time around - less pressure to have the measurements exactly right. I also initially wanted to do a lining, but realized that if I am wearing a slip and dark tights everyday it may not be worth the extra hassle. The process was time consuming but fairly easy - I think the worst part was while I was pinking the raw edges after I had seamed everything I cut through the seam twice, and at least that was an easy fix.

Overall I'm very pleased with the result and that is mainly because I wore it and it didn't fall apart, which honestly was a huge confidence boost. I just have this fear that anything I sew will fall apart, is that weird? It definitely has gotten me much more excited about sewing many more clothes in the future.


2 comments:

Michelle Lynn said...

Looks great! I love that Lucy looks like she's about to somersault off that table.

Danielle said...

Beautiful. I am a huge fan of that picture as well.